Saturday, June 25, 2011

Lifes Little Questions

Through a friend I was led to a woman's blog who has cancer. She found a lump in her breast back in January of this year and has expressed what she is and has gone through on her blog. Her cancer is an aggressive type that was driven by the estrogen in her body. So she has had both breasts removed and she is also getting a full hysterectomy done. She did a guest write up telling her story on hugsforstrength.com  Her story is amazing and brave like most people with cancer are. She is only 36 and has 4 young children.

Her story got me thinking. What would I do, how I would feel if this fate was mine. How would I tell my children, family, and friends.Would I be as brave as she has been. To have your whole sense of being as a woman taken away from you (breasts, ovaries, uterus, cervix and fallopian tubes) so that you can live. It would have to be done but she has decided ("for many reasons") not get reconstruction of her breasts done. She states that "once you have cancer, sometimes things that were important to you before no longer are."  I wonder if I would feel the same way. I have quite large breast. I am not all about looks as people that know me know but I don't know if I could live life the same way without them. I know my husband would be there for me whatever I chose but to go though that would be very life altering.

I wish only the best for the women out there suffering with this horrible disease. I hope that I never have to make the tough decisions that they are faced with every day.

Hopefully one day they will find a cure.

1 comment:

DaChick Studios said...

I have often thought about that too, I'd like to think I'd be brave...but sadly I think when I was at home I'd be a mess...and if somebody asked me. "How are you doing" and really meant it then I'd probably loose it and start cryin'....